Monday, January 21, 2008

And so the spinning goes on...

It has been a lot of fibers and spinning lately. I have done one more dyeing-experiment.
This time I tried out the "kettle-dyeing". I was thinking having a shaded bright red, but ended up with a solid red. It is a nice color and the wool came out very nice and not so compact as the first time I dyed. I think I can get better at this with time.


Some new things has reached my home, too. Here is a new ball winder, from the fabulous Strauch Fiber Equipment Co. Along with it came a drum-carder:
 
So as soon as the kids where in bed I started exploring it.


First I tried out a 50-50 blend of blue merino with natural white alpaca.


I just did one pass trough the carder. It was so fluffy and weightless, that I just had to try spinning it right away. What can I say - I was in spinning heaven. My first batt of wool gave me stars in my eyes :-)


The single of alpaca/merino was plyed with two strands of the blue merino into a 3-ply.
But I was still very excited about the batt-making, so I dug in my wool-collection and found a horrible wool top from Lornas Laces that I bought almost two years ago. The reason for it just laying there was the colors and the fact that it was very hard to draft. So I separated the colors and spun up the parts with blue, purple and a little bit of yellow into this purple-blueish fluffy wool.

and the pink and yellow into this candy batt:
I used ´theredhead`s tutorial to make it into roving today:


I have spun some of both blends.

The purple colors does´nt come out right in this picture. I will be make a 2ply of this.


This color is not so accurate either. I will take some new pictures when it is a finished 2-ply.

10 Comments:

At 1:12 AM , Blogger HanneJ said...

Jeg er så misunnelig at det knapt kan beskrives!

 
At 10:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Så spennende å se!

Jeg må få kjøpe et nøste av deg en gang så jeg virkelig får nytt herligheten!

 
At 4:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Så lekkert *sukk*
Gleder meg til å se mer fra din rokk! Ha ei spinnvill uke ;)
Mvh Marit

 
At 7:02 PM , Blogger strikkegal said...

Oi så spennende!!! Bestiller du ting selv fra utlandet eller? Jeg venter i spenning på å få se ferdig garn her, er nesten så jeg også må spinne litt i kveld ;)

 
At 8:36 PM , Blogger Rødhetta said...

Heia, jeg har awaerded deg, se i blogen min;)
Spinner du for salg, må snart stikke baby klær så......
God helg

 
At 7:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Så mye herlig garn du lager, blir såååå missunnelig!

 
At 8:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Å så mye vakkert garn!! Klart du må komme å se på kattepusene, snart!

 
At 11:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Du har virkelig fått dreisen på dette, gleder meg til jeg blir halvparten så flink. Masse flotte farger.

 
At 11:15 AM , Blogger Margrethe said...

Så utrolig flink du er! Elsket fargene på det blålilla, det var rålekkert!

 
At 1:49 PM , Blogger Supernøtt said...

Du kan jo få hvem som helst til å kjøpe en kardemaskin når man ser så flott resultat det blir!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home